VE Commercial Vehicles Limited is a joint venture between the Volvo Group (Volvo) and Eicher Motors Limited (EML). It is a partnership that brings together Global leadership in technology, quality, safety and environmental care, along with the deep knowledge and understanding of the Indian Commercial Vehicle (CV) market. VE Commercial Vehicles Limited. (VECV) owes its inception to the compelling intent of driving modernization in commercial transportation, in India and other developing markets.
- VE Commercial Vehicles Limited (VECV) is a joint venture between the Volvo Group and Eicher Motors Limited, and is headquartered at New Delhi. This joint venture came into effect in July 2008.
- ETB, completed 30 years of operations in India in the month of June 2016. The first Eicher truck was rolled out from its manufacturing plant in Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh in 1986 and over the past 29 years, the products have got endorsement from happy customers of over 400,000 vehicles.
- Eicher Trucks and Buses (ETB) is present in the 5T-49T truck segment.Eicher's 15-65 seater buses have a growing presence in the LD school bus, staff and route-permit segments.ETB has also made strong inroads into heavy-duty trucks segment of 16T-49T with their "VE" series of Fuel Efficient heavy-duty trucks, and the next generation Eicher Pro Series of heavy Duty Trucks.
- Eicher unveiled its entire new range of future generation trucks and buses at an impressive product reveal function in Pithampur on December 2, 2013. The all new product range has been named the "Eicher Pro'' series. Adopting the most professional and holistic approach to modernise the Indian trucking industry, the new brand philosophy is to "Go Pro"; that is to give Indian trucking a truly professional offering which will lead to higher productivity, profitability and prosperity for the customer. Eicher's new Pro series trucks and buses promise to deliver best-in-class fuel efficiency, higher loading capacity, higher superior uptime and overall vehicle life time profitability.
- The state-of-the-art plant in Pithampur has top line manufacturing processes which includes cab weld shop with robotic welding, CED paint shop, integrated testing facilities, 100% hot test facility for engines and a lean and scalable manufacturing set up. It offers superior paint finish and deliver quality much superior to what we see in contemporary trucks in India. The top coat paint finish is superior in terms of gloss, distinctness of image and corrosion resistance. Even UV protection will be two times more than the existing paint quality. The paint shop will have an initial capacity of 72,000 units scalable to 100,000 units per annum.
- Volvo Trucks in India is the first truck manufacturer to introduce the European design, high performance trucks with the latest technologies. To provide an all-round solution Volvo Trucks in India pioneered the Driver Training concept in commercial vehicles segment. Today, there are over 30,000 drivers trained by Volvo, operating Volvo vehicles across the country for private as well as public transports. When it comes to maintaining a Volvo Truck as a true Volvo, Genuine Volvo Parts helps the truck retains its original properties throughout its lifetime. Complementing the trucks, Volvo Trucks offers a wide range of Service Agreements to help customers plan the maintenance.
- Commemorating the successful completion of 5 years of partnership between Volvo Group and Eicher Motors in July 2013, VE Commercial Vehicles Limited announced start of commercial production at the technologically most advanced engine manufacturing plant in India. The plant has been set up at Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh, India with an initial capacity of 25,000 units per annum in Phase 1 at an investment of Rs 375 crores. The capacity will increase step by step to 100,000 units per annum as per the market requirements with an additional investment of around Rs 125 crores. The engine facility will be a global hub for meeting the medium-duty automotive engine requirements of Volvo Group globally for five- and eight-litre engines. The Euro 6-compliant diesel base engines will be supplied to Volvo Group plant in Venissieux, France where these engines will be assembled for the Volvo Group Euro 6 requirements. The same platform will be adapted to Euro 3 and 4 engine (BS3/BS4) technologies to meet the VECV requirements and other Volvo Group requirements for this type of engines in Asia.
- Eicher Engineering Components (EEC) is the automotive component division of VECV. Established in 1992, EEC has grown to become one of the largest and most well reputed gear manufacturers in India. Not only does EEC meet all the automotive component requirements of Eicher Trucks and Buses, it also manufactures differential gears, transmission gears and shafts for a large domestic and global clientele, both in the OEM and spare-parts segments. Besides, EEC also supplies gear boxes to industrial, agricultural and other segments in the United States and Canada. EEC has four manufacturing plants, one at Thane (Maharashtra) and two at Dewas (Madhya Pradesh) manufacturing the complete range of gears, and one at Pithampur (Madhya Pradesh) manufacturing gear boxes. It is continuously developing new products and upgrading its technology, while increasing operational efficiency, to make sure that it gets the best products to the market at the most competitive rates.
- The manufacturing set up in Thane houses state-of-the-art machines which include Gleason Conifex machines for straight bevel gear, Pfauter, Liebherr, Mitsubishi (CNC) and Cleveland Hobbing machines, latest heat treatment facilities and CNC bore and Cylindrical grinding machines.
- The Plant in Dewas, Madhya Pradesh houses technologically advanced machines and equipment which includes a battery of Mitsubishi CNC Hobbing machines, fellow shaping machines, Reishauer Gear Grinder RZ400, Shaving Cutter Re-sharpening machine from Gleason Hurth, state-of-the-art Continuous Gas Carburising Furnace (from Aichelin) - fully PLC controlled with robotics for Press Quenching and PLC Controlled Sealed Quench Furnaces (with hot oil quenching for reduced distortions). Ground breaking ceremony of the proposed second unit at Dewas took place in January 2012.
- Eicher Engineering Solutions (EES) is a global engineering service partner to OEM's and First Tier suppliers in ground transportation, aerospace, and consumer products. EES utilizes technical competencies and systematic design processes and combine sophisticated engineering tools in a streamlined process. With a staff of 250+ of highly experienced engineers and skill sets, EES provides rapid team response capability in the Americas, India, and China. Providing a variety of strategic services and engagement models that include alliances, captive engineering centers, as well as specialized engineering, design, and analysis resources deployed to the customer sites. EES brings Total Value: Global Design, Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) / Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Prototype, Onsite Resource deployment, and IT / High-Performance Computing (HPC) solutions that complement business strategies, practices, and the vision of integrated global product development.
- VECV has an employee base of 11000+ employees.
The company's industrial base includes an integrated Commercial Vehicle factory in Pithampur, producing Eicher trucks and a bus plant at Baggad. The organization also has manufacturing capabilities in Thane, Dewas and SEZ Pithampur, dedicated to manufacturing of transmission and differential gear boxes and gear box assemblies.
The state-of-the-art plant in Pithampur has access to top line manufacturing processes, which includes cab weld shop with robotic welding, CED paint shop, integrated testing facilities, 100% hot test facility for engines and a lean and scalable manufacturing set up. The machine shop has 17 Horizontal machining centers, special purpose machine for critical operations like crank bore, cam bore, piston bore and Joint face finish machining. The transmission assembly section has hydraulic press for pressing of bearings and a sound proof enclosure for checking abnormal noise in the transmission units being produced. The plant also has robotic welding facilities for main body and under body welding. A pre-delivery automated inspection facility is also there to check the speed and brake related parameters, turning angle and wheel alignment issues before delivery of the final product to the dealer/customer. The plant has an annual production capacity of 48,000 units.
As a part of the product development process, the organization has a fully equipped vehicle and engine development center with fatigue lab, complete virtual vehicle integration capability, different simulations, in-house competence for electrics and electronics integration, a complete bus structure and interior trim design capabilities.
The manufacturing set up in Thane houses progressive machines, which include Gleason CWP Cutting Machines, Gleason Conifex Machines for Straight Bevel Gear, Pfauter, Liebherr, Mitsubishi (CNC) and Cleveland Hobbing machines, state-of-the-art heat treatment facilities and CNC bore and Cylindrical grinding machines.
The plant in Dewas, Madhya Pradesh houses technologically advanced machines and equipments which includes a battery of CNC Hobbing & Shaving Machines, Shaping Machines, Reishauer Gear Grinder RZ400, Gleason CWP Cutting Machines, Gleason Conifex Machines for Straight Bevel Gear, state-of-the-art Continuous Gas Carburising Furnace (from Aichelin) with fully PLC controlled with robotics for Press Quenching and PLC Controlled Sealed Quench Furnaces (with hot oil quenching for reduced distortions) and Shaving Cutter Re-sharpening machine from Gleason Hurth. The advanced technology available at this plant ensures that the transmission gears and shafts manufactured here are of the highest quality.
In recent years, the group has continually invested in innovation, technology and expansion. As a result, the units continue to expand their capacities and efficiency, while adhering to their core principal of quality and manufacturing excellence.
Signing of Letter of Intent
Signing of definitive agreements
July - August
Commencement of JV
Volvo Board Visit
Launch of Quality Improvement CSI-1 Initiatives
Inauguration of the new gear plant at Dewas
Launch of VE-series of Eicher HD trucks
Launch of VE Powertrain
Bhoomi Poojan of VEPT plant site
Bhoomi pujan of Dewas plant 2
Inauguration of engine plant building
Inauguration of a new paint shop
Inauguration of Dewas Plant 2
Start of production of Euro 6 engine manufacturing plant
Eicher unveils the future of Indian trucking with the all new Pro series